Thursday, December 15, 2011

the Body of Christ...

Hi Friends!

Well our internet is hooked up... but according to the cable-internet-man we are getting about 1/1000 of the signal we should be getting... so no photos today (SORRY) but hopefully we will have that fixed up tomorrow.

I have been dying to write this post for a while now, it has been whirling around in my head as we start to sink into our new home. You hear a lot about "the body of Christ" in church. What does that really mean?... One meaning of the "body of Christ" are the people in the church (any church) who love Jesus, and serve Him.

This past weekend we got word that we could start moving furniture and boxes into our house a day early (Sunday). So I texted a friend Amy on Saturday afternoon, who mentioned she and her husband could help us move. She also had mentioned that her Bible study group was interested in helping (which honestly I thought was a little weird since I hadn't met any of them and they don't even go to our church!). So I gave her our new address and told her we would be there around 1:30pm on Sunday. We loaded up the U-Haul Sunday after church, got to our new house and started to unpack. At 1:30 Amy, her husband, and 5 of their friends came, giving us a grand total of EIGHT men, and FIVE women to move us into our home, five of whom we had never met. These people gave of their time on a Sunday afternoon to serve a family who needed help moving. Men hauling heavy furniture, women making beds and putting away clothes. Something that could have taken us several hours was done in two. I was humbled and overwhelmed by their willingness to give of their time, expecting nothing in return. My dad asked one of the guys on his way in the house "so how do you know John and Linds?" His answer... "I don't, just thought this would be a good way to serve." Amen brother, praising God for you!

When we started looking at building a home, I called a man from church who builds in Omaha. From start to finish he has helped John and I plan and build a home that fits Evie and our needs beautifully, in a wonderful neighborhood, a great school district, with amenities we never thought we would have. He linked us with a realtor who was willing to work with us very fairly on both sides of the sale and a lender who helped make the numbers work. This man gave of his time and resources to BLESS us immeasurably with a home that is a total dream come true.

I couldn't forget our amazing family and friends and the countless hours of packing, loading, unloading, babysitting, listening, picking out colors, unpacking, buying dinner, visiting, etc. they have done over the past 6 months.

Those are just a few examples of the Body of Christ and the wonders that God does through people who answer his call. I hope that God will open a door for us to repay all of these wonderful people their kindness and hope I can serve them with an ounce of the humility and unselfishness they have shown us.

THANK YOU for serving our family, through prayer, help, notes and words of encouragement these past few months. I am constantly blown away by the giving hearts of the people that God has used in our lives to love us! Evie's quick recovery from surgery is just another testimony of God's goodness and his listening ear to our prayers.

Love you friends, pictures of Evie AND our new house coming soon!!!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lindsey and John on your move - Lindsey, this was so beautifully written, I just had to comment. Love to all xoxoAmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, would love to be able to say I am "the" amy from above, but the above post is from amy lindsey. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    Wow I was blown away when I read this post... when I saw the title it was like me and apple pie...I can't stay away. I am happy that you have a new home and you got allot of people to help you. I will be praying that Evie continues to have a quick recovery :)
    God Bless,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing from the moment we met you all in Durango last summer. Christ shined through you and your family. In your obedience and trust in Christ you have been an amazing encouragement to all that you encounter. I continue to pray that God heap blessings on Evie and your family. Love Alyson

    ReplyDelete