Friday, July 16, 2010
Evie's surgery went great... not exactly as planned, but nothing bad. The docs went in with the intention of cutting her forehead bones into 3 pieces... and instead cut about 20! She had a little more pressure than that thought, and so they worked their way toward the back of her head and cut the bone into more and more pieces to give her more space. She had to get blood transfused during surgery and is continuing to get blood even now. She has a small fever, and her heart rate is a little fast, but the docs aren't concerned. That little reddish black line coming out of her pink head wrap is a drain that is attached to a little grenade looking container that continually drains blood/fluid to relieve pressure.
If all goes as planned we will move up to the "normal" floor (from the ICU) tomorrow afternoon.
So all of our prayers were answered.
1. She was already asleep when they did her IVs.
2. She was so entertained by her crib and all of the attention she was getting that I did more crying than she did when they rolled her to the OR.
3. Brian took photos during the surgery, and couldn't believe how well the doctors worked together and what an amazing team they made.
4. Evie was losing quite a bit of blood at one point, but the docs took a break, infused a little extra, and it wasn't a problem.
5. I wasn't in the OR, but everyone seemed to be thrilled about Evie's surgery and the outcome. As you can see, she looks AMAZING! Even a little more like Lyla maybe! My beautiful girls!
6. As far as a quick recovery goes, the swelling is supposed to really set in the next couple of days. Gma Dellie and I picked out a beautiful colorful butterfly balloon for her to look at when she can get those pretty blue eyes open for a little longer.
So far Evie has just woken up about every 5 minutes with little moans and groans. I asked the nurse if she had a "headache" and got one of those "really!?" looks from everyone around me... duh! So PRAYERS for the pain to go away quickly, along with the swelling would be WONDERFUL.
I can't tell you how much I love each and every one of you, and how much your prayers mean to us. Love you!